Sunday, May 26, 2013

Relishing Life!

Memorial Weekend marks the unofficial start to summer and barbecue season (unless you are in Seattle, like me). I heard on the news this morning that Americans eat 7 billion hot dogs each summer. That's enough to stretch between Washington DC and Los Angeles 5 times! 

I admit to eating a few hot dogs each summer.  After all, I have to do my part as an American. I think my favorite combination is mustard, onions, and relish. If you are looking to streamline that idea, several companies make what is commonly called Hot Dog Relish. So with that in mind, I thought a relish recipe might be perfect for a blog. 

When I was writing The Kitchen Pantry Cookbook, I came up with a number of different relish recipes including sweet pickle relish, corn relish, tri-colored onion relish and so on, but I didn't think about riffing on the Hot Dog Relish theme. 

I was contacted by Annie Dolce, the editor of The Daily Meal, an online community dedicated to culinary content covering everything from restaurant reviews and chef profiles to recipes and travel tips, and more.  It's super cool and if you are a foodie, you should definitely check it out. Annie is writing an article on relishes that will include several of my recipes and some tips for making your own relish.  I developed this recipe for her article.  

My Hot Dog Relish is a tangy, slightly sweet combination of flavors that borrows from classics like chow chow, sweet pickle relish, and even my grandmother, Nell's, mustard pickle recipe. I've done some comparing among the commercial brands and must say, "mine's better!" No really, I tasted a few that were so sweet they set my teeth on edge. If you typically top your hot dog the way I do, I think you'll agree that this Hot Dog Relish is a great balance between pungent yellow mustard and lightly sweet relish.  Through some onions on top and you are golden (Pony Boy). It's also yummy mixed into potato salad, macaroni salad, egg salad, etc.  Happy summer eating!

Hot Dog Relish
Yield: Makes one 1-pint (475 ml) jar

Ingredients
3/4 lb (340 g) pickling cucumbers (about 4), washed and finely diced
1/2 cup minced green cabbage
1/4 cup finely diced yellow onion
2 tablespoons finely diced red bell pepper
4 teaspoons (20 g) kosher or pickling salt
3/4 cup (180 ml) distilled white vinegar
1/3 cup (67 g) granulated sugar
2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon yellow mustard seed
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons cornstarch or arrowroot powder

Directions
Place cucumbers, cabbage, onion, and red bell pepper in a medium-sized nonreactive mixing bowl and sprinkle with salt, stir well. Let stand for 1 hour.

Drain mixture in a colander, rinse under cold water and drain again, pressing out any excess moisture.

In a medium-sized nonreactive saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar, prepared mustard, dry mustard, mustard seed, celery seed, paprika, turmeric and cornstarch. Whisk until fully blended. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture has thickened slightly.

Add cucumber mixture, and return the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

When the relish has finished cooking, transfer it into a sterilized pint jar and refrigerate until cool, then cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 months. 



No comments:

Post a Comment