Friday, August 1, 2014

Carolina-Style Barbecue Sauce

Years ago, my best friend, Christin moved to the Raleigh-Durham area. When I went out for a visit, she took me for some real Carolina barbecue. I was really struck by the barbecue sauce. It was really unlike any I'd ever tried before. It was piquant, tart - just plain zippy.  I really loved it.

When I was writing recipes for The Kitchen Pantry Cookbook, I decided to try to recreate the sauce. I thought it would be good to offer a couple distinct barbecue sauces to choose from.  I love my Kansas City-Style Barbecue Sauce too but the Carolina-Style has stolen my heart.

Condiment photo by Rina Jordan
from Kitchen Pantry Cookbook (2013) by Erin Coopey
(Carolina-Style Barbecue Sauce - center, right)


Carolina-Style Barbecue Sauce

Although I typically use this sauce as a condiment on ribs or pulled pork, it makes a great mop sauce if you are into pit barbecuing. I also love it with grilled chicken!

Makes 2 cups

3/4 cup yellow mustard
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon hot paprika
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt or kosher salt

Mix ingredients in a medium sauce pan. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. If you like a thicker sauce, just simmer it a bit longer. 

Sauce can be used immediately or refrigerated for up to 1 month.

This barbecue sauce makes a great marinade for either chicken or pork. If you plan to use this sauce as marinade, be sure to cool it in the refrigerator before adding the meat.


Excerpted from The Kitchen PantryCookbook by Erin Coopey, Quarry Books 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment